'First Thursday' Hendon Blitz Chess Tournaments
To register please use the form at the bottom of the page or click here. Non members – do not travel without registering and paying your entry fee, to avoid disappointment. You will receive a notification of your entry by email. You can see a list of players who have registered for the event here.
Here’s a list of recent results so that you can see what the competition is like!
- One section, swiss system tournament.
- 1st prize £20, 2nd Prize £10 and £10 prize for the highest Hendon Chess Club member.
- Held on the first Thursday of every month – see the calendar for upcoming dates.
- Venue: Golders Green Unitarians Church, 31½ Hoop Lane, Golders Green, London NW11 8BS
- Starts at 7.30pm promptly, finishes 10pm.
- From July 2016: Non members £10.00 to enter, £3.00 if you are a member of Hendon Chess Club. Cash only on the night, and members – please bring change!
- 10 minutes per player per game (in other words each game lasts a maximum of 20 minutes)
- Non-ENG PLAYERS Players who belong to a FIDE nation other than ENG (e.g. SCO or USA) don’t need to belong to the ECF. HOWEVER you do need to quote your FIN (FIDE Identification Number) with your entry. Non-English players will have to obtain a FIN from their national federation or ask me, and I will do it for you. English players – I will register you with FIDE directly.
- FIDE Blitz Rules apply: it is always touch and move, completed illegal moves lose, etc. See section E.I.01B. (Appendices).
- If this is too fast for you, try the Golders Green Rapidplays (30 minutes per player per game!) or Hampstead Congresses (3 hours per game!)
- You don’t have to have a grade or belong to Hendon Chess Club to play.
- Ungraded players may be assigned a grade by the organiser.
- The controller’s decision is final in all matters.
It is not compulsory to be a member of the ECF to play in this tournament.
Here is a game from October’s event, which proves that you can always hope to score an upset in blitz – even against the outright favourite!